Which do you think is better: Pumpkin Pie or Apple?
November 4, 2021
When You first think of fall what comes to mind? Do you think of the warm delicious apple pie, or do you think of gooey warm pumpkin pie?
After interviewing many students at linganore high school. About 58% of the students that we interviewed said apple and the other 42% said pumpkin. After interviewing many of the students had a constant answer on why they didn’t like the other pie.
Freshman Evan McLaurin said,” apple pie is my favorite because I don’t like warm pumpkin, since it is squishy.” McLaurin prefers apple pie like most students because of the consistency of he pie filling.
On the other hand sophomore Brandon Maready’s favorite is pumpkin. After asking him why pumpkin pie is his favorite he said,” The consistency of apple pie isn’t as good as pumpkin.” Maready did say that he didn’t dislike apple pie; he just prefers the consistency of pumpkin pie over the consistency of apple pie.
Junior Emily Bollhorst and Emily Asherman prefer pumpkin pie over apple pie. Asherman said,” I don’t like the texture of apple filling.” After asking Bollhorst why she disliked apple pie she said “I don’t like warm fruit.” So both girls disliked apple pie because of the consistency of the apple pie filling.
Senior Ryan Collingham prefers apple pie. Collingham mentioned that he doesn’t dislike pumpkin pie but that he feels,” like apple pie has more flavor than pumpkin pie.” Apple pie does tend to have pretty clear ingredients, and it’s easy to tell what main ingredients are in the pie. The spices that are in both pumpkin pie and apple are pretty strong.
Principle Cynthia Hanlon does in fact like pumpkin pie more. Hanlon just doesn’t dislike apple pie. Hanlon said,” I just like everything pumpkin, I like the spices.” So Hanlon also agrees with many of the students that pumpkin pie is better than apple but doesn’t necessarily hate apple pie, Hanlon just prefers one over the other.
Pumpkin Pie 🎃
- 1(15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1(14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice spice
- 2 blind baked 9-inch shells, or 1 unbaked 9-inch deep dish shell
- Move oven rack to the lowest position then set oven to 425 degrees
- Combine the pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, large eggs, and pumpkin spice pie in a large mixing bowl
- (If making the pie in a 2 9-inch pie pans) divide the mixture eventually between the two, bake for 15 minutes on 425 degrees than reduce temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for about 15-20 minutes longer (test if done by sticking a knife into the middle and there is no residue on the knife), let the pie cool for two hours on a wire rack, then enjoy
- (If making in one 9-inch deep dish pie crust) pour mixture into the unbaked pie crust and bake for 15 minutes on 425 degrees, then reduce heat to 35o degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes or (until the knife come out with no residue after sticking into into the middle), and when the pie is finished let rest on wire rack for 2 hours, and enjoy
In my opinion I think that pumpkin pie is better than apple pie. I prefer pumpkin pie because I also prefer pumpkin spice. I think that in the fall, everything that has pumpkin in it or has pumpkin spice is instantly better. It makes sense that pumpkin pie would be a better fall dessert since you already carve pumpkins for Halloween, which would make sense to why pumpkin pie is better.
recipe from the kitchen
Apple Pie 🍎
- 2 premade dough sheets
- ¼ cup flour
- ⅓-⅔ cup sugar
- 8-9 peeled thinly sliced apples
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp of butter
- A pinch of salt
- The first thing to do when making apple pie is to preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, combine ¼ cup of flour, ⅓ – ⅔ cup of sugar, ½ tsp of cinnamon, ½ tsp of nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- Now it’s time to mix the ingredients together until combined thoroughly.
- Once everything is mixed in it is time to add 2 tbsp of butter, it can either be solid or melted, and mix.
- Once the consistency looks moist and has a dark brown color to it, it is time to add 8-9 peeled thinly sliced granny smith apples.
- After all the apples are evenly coated it is time to put the apple mixture into the pie crust. The pie crust is just one premade dough sheet covering a round baking tin.
- Once the apples are evenly spread then it is time to add the second premade dough sheet on top.
- After the dough sheet is on top, cut a few little X’s in the dough and cover with tin foil.
- Once the tin foil is on top, put the pie into the oven for 40-50 minutes.
- Lastly, once it has been 40-50 minutes it is time to take the pie out of the oven and serve. The apple pie can be served by itself or with some vanilla ice cream.
I like apple pie the most because I love the taste of the apples and like the texture and consistency of them. I also like that apple pie can go with anything and be eaten year round, where as pumpkin pie is more of a seasonal pie. I dislike pumpkin pie because of the consistency has a gooey texture.
Recipe from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook.